Thursday, March 08, 2007

Fries with that?

Just reading 2nd Tim and was struck by these words from 2v10.

"...with eternal glory."

That's what you get when you order the "salvation that is in Christ Jesus", it's not an optional extra, the monday club, or only if the chef feels like it - it's a bona fide side dish served straight up.

I wonder how many of us think about what we're getting ourselves into when we sit down to look at the menu of life and decide on the aforementioned delicacy. And when the waiter informs us of the special no-strings-attatched condition of our choice?


'Ah yes, a controversial choice sir, that one comes "...with eternal glory." ...I'm told that no-one's ever asked for their money back.

What's that? Oh yes, we get dissatisfied customers. Just never with this one sir.

Why isn't it more popular? That's a very good question sir... I suppose it's that the side dish is served at the discretion of the chef. One's never too sure when it's going to arrive, some just get tired waiting and order something else.

And the others? Well the "in Christ Jesus" bit just doesn't seem to appeal so we regularly get orders for salvation that is in... well usually it's whatever they fancy.

Many aren't too sure who Christ Jesus is and comment on the price.
Others say they've never tried him but don't like what they've heard.
Others say they tried something like him once and remember disliking it.
Yet others vehemently deny the ability of Christ Jesus to satisfy. "It's outrageous!" they say, "Who ever heard of it? Christ Jesus has always been an hors-d'oeuvre - nothing more!".
And then of course we get those who want their "Salvation that is in Christ Jesus" served with the flavour of the month.'


So is to use such an illustration is to trivialise the reality of things? Naturally. But that is the nature of illustrations.

Now if we've already been served our "Salvation that is in Christ Jesus". Isn't there something tantalising we shouldn't forget..? And if we haven't made our selection? Try not to forget the eternal nature of the side dish. Expense wise I'd say it pretty much pays for itself.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention; management reserves the right to shut the restaurant without notice. All tabs will be paid in full.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's just me, Imagine, the sportsracer. I was just thinking how much easier it is for me. No menu. I mean, I know I have free will and all that, but the way it works for me is that G-d is who he is if I believe it or not. Keeps things simpler. No 'accepting saviors' or anything like that. Just live the best life that I can. No believing required.

Robin said...

Mate, really enjoyed that post. Eternal glory. It's just beyond comprehension right now, but oh, that day! Totally easy to get so caught up with finding our glory in so many vain things, forgetting the joy of knowing the greatest glory awaits us. Guaranteed.

In response to the previous comment, I'd say that actually free will isn't that much of a reality as we like to think. Throughout the Bible the storyline of Israel and into the New Testament with Paul's words to Christians, the message is that actually we're totally inadequate. We can't choose God, open the door to God. I totally believe "God is who he is if I believe it or not", but how I relate to God is totally dependent on whether I bow the knee, realise the utter helplessness of our situation, and recieve his lavish mercy.

I guess the thing with 'belief' is that we throw the word around a lot. I believe this, I don't believe that. And at the end of the day, we live or die by what we believe. People will be able to look at our lives and say 'yeah, he believed it was all about making the money', or 'yeah she was a real family girl, she believed in the importance of the family'. We're all believing something; we're all putting our trust in some worldview, whether that be a God who is knowable, or no such thing. But none of that changes what is actually the case. I can believe all I like that the car coming towards me will see me and brake, but it doesn't mean he will.
Thoughts?